Lead Product Designer
About the job
Perch is seeking our Product Design Lead. In addition to being the strongest product designer on the team, the successful candidate will also lead and grow the design team all while maturing, documenting and evangelizing design best practices across the business. Your efforts will enable effective scaling in our approach to design and contribute to conquering our business objectives.
What you’ll be doing:
- Bring creativity to the conversation as we ideate and define product requirements, solutions to our user’s challenges and inevitably define new products and add features to improve existing ones.
- Expand on and mature an extensible, developer friendly design system that leads to improved cohesiveness and velocity across the product design discipline at Perch.
- Collaborate with our marketing team and brand designers on design experiments to continuously improve conversion and user satisfaction.
- Identify and lead user research initiatives that help Perch further extend its lead as the best home ownership management platform in the market.
- Enforce and maintain consistent brand identity across the company, our products and our overall web presence.
- Lead and foster a team of designers and external resources such as agencies and contractors.
- 3+ years of experience in a Senior Product Designer Role in which you directly interfaced with stakeholders and engineering teams.
- Hands-on experience working with product managers and other designers to develop the requirements behind, and the rationale for, new products and features.
- Demonstrable strategic insight and experience creating and implementing internal frameworks and strategy that lead to a cohesive, scalable and maintainable design practices.
- Experience leading a multi-disciplinary design team in which you fostered and leveled-up your direct reports.
- Expert understanding and insight into front end frameworks / reusable design, etc. (e.g. Bootstrap, Material or the like). You will be expected to demonstrate systems you’ve previously leveraged to develop scalable web design systems.
- Ability to communicate and lead best practices for prototyping and tools used to explore and convey design solutions.
- Advanced user in a prominent design tool (preferably Figma)
- Be an independent thinker that will challenge your colleague’s opinions and is okay with being challenged themselves.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to speak/read/write fluently in English.
- Comfortable taking ownership in situations of ambiguity, making judgment calls to the best of your ability to keep a project moving forward.
- Experience in rapid translation of requirements into low/mid fidelity wireframes and user flows to validate assumptions and interactions.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize effectively.
Nice to Have
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience in mortgages or the financial services industry
Who are you
As a product designer, you are able to visualize the happy path and potential pain points for a user by putting yourself in their shoes. The ability to ask the right questions upfront and probe the team on potential designs helps you accomplish more and improve the end result for everyone. You don’t only act on gut instinct and realize when further research is required, being comfortable conducting customer interviews, interpreting analytics, proposing A/B tests, etc.
As a leader, you will define and enforce an effective framework that will enable rapid development and cohesion of our product while managing your design resources effectively. Your creativity will inspire others and bring new ideas to life. Your involvement will be across the entire platform and you will exert a high degree of influence over the full platform’s design.
As a team member, you operate at a fast pace and you are comfortable juggling multiple projects simultaneously without compromising on quality. You will constructively challenge opinions when you see an opportunity to do better and welcome being challenged.
Read more about Perch and what to expect during our hiring process.