VP, Corporate Controller (Remote)
Updater is seeking a dynamic leader to join our finance team as our VP, Corporate Controller! As a key member of our finance leadership team, you’ll be at the forefront of shaping our financial strategy forward while consistently enhancing our accounting operations.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of our accounting department while contributing to the broader strategy of the finance team. This includes effectively managing and expanding a team of 5 professionals, ensuring strict adherence to compliance standards, and proactively identifying opportunities to enhance efficiency through the integration of technology.
Your role will be critical in guiding Updater through crucial accounting policy decisions, external reporting, cash management, financial data accuracy, and financial control.
About the role:
- Create, uphold, and enforce comprehensive accounting systems and internal controls, policies, and procedures, tailored to a Tech SaaS environment.
- Successfully conduct audits in accordance with SEC/public regulations.
- Strategize, lead and support the execution of all operational accounting tasks, encompassing the development of an appropriate organizational framework to fulfill departmental goals and initiatives.
- Collaborate closely with the VP of Fiance to ensure alignment on financial strategies, reporting, and goals to support potential future milestones, such as an IPO or exit.
- Oversee the monthly consolidated closure procedure, introducing innovative concepts and devising streamlined approaches to enhance process efficiency.
- Foster and manage relationships with external entities such as tax authorities, auditors, banking partners, and accountants.
- Ensure accuracy and accountability in our financial records, in alignment with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Take ownership of our treasury operations, including cash management
- Lead, manage, and mentor a team of 5
- Progressive accounting experience totalling at least 15+ years with a mix of public accounting and private industry experience
- Seasoned manager with 5+ years of experience leading and developing accounting teams and a passion for empowering individuals with financial knowledge to drive informed business decisions
- Desire to improve processes and systems through technology with experience in implementing accounting systems, ideally, in a fast-growth technology startup environment
- Autonomous and self driven, capable of taking full ownership and accountability for the accounting function, while being able to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and executives
- Experience with revenue recognition for complex SaaS organizations with multiple product lines and business units
- Hands-on proficiency, strong Excel skills and experience with integrated accounting software (experience with Intacct a plus)
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to adapt quickly
- Experience in a Big 4 accounting firm
Updater makes moving easier for the 12 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $450 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, Vista Credit Partners, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater has ranked on Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC in 2016, 2018, & 2021. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.