Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2023
Proof is the world's first identity-assured transaction management platform and we are on a mission to digitize trust for all of life’s most critical transactions. Developed by the same market leaders and experts who brought notarization online with Notarize℠, Proof offers trust in a digital world by verifying identities and securing transactions to protect businesses and their customers. Since 2015, we’ve completed many of the world’s first digital commerce transactions, including the first online real estate closing, online mortgage closing, online auto sale, and online will and we're still just getting started!
Proof is looking for a thoughtful, communicative, curious, and motivated individual to join our remote-first team as an Associate Counsel. In this role, you’ll be involved in a wide range of projects, from compliance, and privacy to due diligence, third-party risk management, government affairs, and auditing. You’ll work with leaders and teams across the organization as you assist in streamlining processes to foster effective cross-functional collaboration.
Proof is improving the way businesses and individuals execute the most important transactions of their lives, including real estate, institutional investment/retirement, insurance, healthcare, and wealth management transactions, among others. This requires us to understand and evaluate a host of existing federal and state laws, rules, and licensing regimes as well as a host of federal, state, and local customs and practices, and to apply them in a compliant way in the context of a fully digital and online process.
This dynamic and pivotal role is great for a candidate who wants an immersive legal experience that presents many unique challenges and the ability to impart great impact across the company as a whole. This Associate Counsel position presents an opportunity to innovate and grow the core product and expand into new tech offerings and industries.
What you will do as our Associate Counsel:
- Manage the Data Privacy Helpdesk and process incoming requests. Respond to consumers as required by applicable laws and regulations
- Serve as an alternate manager for the Product, Risk, and Legal Helpdesk, completing issue assignment and processing as needed
- Escalate requests when appropriate by consulting with appropriate subject matter experts
- Provide legal analysis and counsel as needed across the company, including briefing Senior Counsel and General Counsel on any product changes
- Assist in the creation of content and maintenance of legal materials related to new and existing product features, legal compliance requirements, and specific subject matter research related to multiple business vertical use cases.
- Create, enhance, and maintain team processes as applicable
- Monitor, assign, and respond as needed to incoming messages to the legal team inbox
- Track, oversee, and respond to law enforcement requests in a secure manner
- Perform reviews and offer counsel related to escalated transaction issues
- Coordinate state outreach and communication for online notarization and document acceptance matters
- Create and provide feedback for specific subject matter training
- Develop tracking, monitoring, and reporting/filtering for privacy requests and related access controls
- Assist and coordinate with Senior Privacy Counsel on other privacy initiatives, including data mapping and implementing privacy controls, audits, and monitoring
- Monitor and research state and federal law related to remote online notarizations, state notarial law, data privacy, and other topics as needed
- Maintain and develop legal decision-making documentation
- Help to identify and resolve legal questions related to product feature development and functionality
What we’re looking for:
- A JD and an active law license
- 2+ years working in a fast paced startup environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Precise attention to detail
- Motivation to learn and grow
- Exposure to SaaS/tech industry a plus
Proof is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.