The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
The VP, Controller is a highly visible member of the Finance Department reporting directly to the CFO. The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial mindset, experience with a public/pre-public company, and have a passion for insurtech.
A day in the life could include:
- Manage & grow a senior level accounting team
- Install and administer a controls framework with the assistance of external consultants
- Interpret and implement new accounting pronouncements and SEC reporting requirements
- Manage and improve the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close and consolidations process
- Perform due diligence and ensure appropriate accounting for potential M&A transactions
- Manage external relationships with banks, auditors, tax advisors, regulators, etc
- Proactively evaluate emerging accounting rules and regulations
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 10+ years of experience in accounting
- Controllership / reporting experience at publicly traded companies
- Statutory and GAAP technical knowledge
- IPO experience
- Insurance industry experience (P&C)
- Preferably have earlier stage company experience - comfortable in a dynamic, high-growth environment
- Excellent knowledge of relevant regulation and regulatory bodies
- CPA required
- Big 4 experience a plus
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Remote first work environment with Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K with up to 4% company match
- Paid Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.