Staff Quality Engineer
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what's the role?
As a Staff Quality Engineer (QE), you play a pivotal role in ensuring the quality and efficiency of our products and processes. Serving as a seasoned expert in quality engineering, you contribute significantly to our test automation approach and serve as a thought leader for quality in our organization. Beyond individual technical contributions, you provide technical leadership aligned with business input, driving initiatives to enhance business outcomes. Your responsibilities extend to actively collaborating with cross-functional teams, steering the company toward optimal solutions, and architecting systemic solutions in collaboration with engineering leadership and product teams.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to enhance tools and processes, building efficiencies into workflows.
- Reviewing and researching testing tools and practices, keeping the team informed of relevant updates and strategies.
- Leading efforts around creation and improvement of test automation strategies
- Providing technical leadership based on business input, driving initiatives for business improvement.
- Delivering on commitments and proactively reporting changes in plans with recommended solutions.
- Actively mentoring team members to enhance productivity.
- Guiding others in understanding technologies and tools across product domains, suggesting new technologies and tools.
- Participating in deployment and CI/CD strategies, being a dependable delivery owner for products, businesses, and feature deliveries.
- Proactively engaging to triage architecture gaps, production stability issues, and developing RCAs.
- Deep collaboration with engineering leadership and product teams, understanding and sharing knowledge of team domains.
- Facilitating discussions within the team, ensuring everyone has the opportunity to share and is heard objectively.
- Recognizing conflicting views and participating constructively to find solutions, driving consensus among peers.
- Collaborating on strategic and technical direction over major initiatives and architecture, understanding and taking responsibility for the needs of the business and major business initiatives.
I've got the skills, but do I have the right ones?
- Solid understanding of Agile SDLC
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Expertise in test design, test plan, and strategy
- Extensive experience in quality engineering methodologies and deep understanding of CI/CD quality standards, APIs and performance testing
- Experience using Git, Jira or other source code management and project tracking tools
- Experience with deployments, CI/CD tools, distributed version control systems, and database migrations
Bonus if you also can:
- Design, code and implement automated tests in Ruby using RSPEC and Capybara
- Write and maintain unit tests and automated test suites
- Plan, conduct the analysis, design, test, and/or integration for the automation to assure the quality of end-to-end critical business flows
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.