Principal Software Engineer
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As a Principal Engineer, you'll develop the products and features that make Kin operate, while providing architectural leadership for multiple scrum teams. We're a Ruby on Rails environment with Typescript front-end and PostgreSQL database, and we apply Scrum methodologies to our product and software development processes. In your role, you will have the opportunity to develop features and products in a collaborative engineering environment. As Principal Engineer, you will serve as a subject matter expert within the engineering org, working closely with peers, product management, design, and other cross-functional groups.
A day in the life could include:
- Leading and defining full-stack Architecture
- Writing clean, maintainable, and efficient code in Ruby and Typescript
- Setting the standard for Engineering team leading by example
- Delivering stories, tasks, or entire features
- Leading pair programming sessions and providing mentorship to team members
- Attending in daily stands and weekly retros
- Collaborating with Design, Product, and other developers to implement new features
- Contributing to the continual improvement of our code base though refactoring, iteration, test writing, and experimentation
- Helping optimize our applications for speed, reliability, and scalability across multiple platforms public facing and internal
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Expert proficiency in Ruby on Rails and/or Typescript
- Experience with architectural planning,design and documentation
- Ability to articulate value of technical investments
- Ability to identify and mitigate technical risks
- Ability to operate with little-to-no technical guidance
- Ability to lead and guide teams through execution
- Experience mentoring engineers at all levels
- Comfortable in a high-growth startup environment – we’re fast-paced, self-motivated, and determined to change the industry
- A fast learner, ready to bring previous knowledge to this position and continue developing along the way
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.