Engineering Manager, Data Engineering
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for a passionate and hands-on engineering manager to lead our Data Engineering team. You should be comfortable working with geographically distributed teams and understand the nuances of being a team player. In this role, you will be responsible for leading a team of data engineers to deliver data solutions, while relentlessly improving performance, scalability, and maintainability. Your team will work upstream from Business Intelligence, Data Science, and Data Science Engineering. This role has no functional peer at the organization; you and your team are the face of data at Kin.
A day in the life could include:
- Lead and manage the Data Engineering team at Kin, owning data ingestion, data storage, data pipeline management, data mastering, and data governance/compliance
- Maintain high-trust relationships with Engineering, Product, and internal business partners
- Outline and execute on a Data Engineering strategy, balancing immediate business objectives with long-term engineering goals
- Guide the team when iteratively navigating through large engineering initiatives
- Promote a culture that values ownership of outcomes
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Experience leading and managing a data engineering team in a startup environment
- Proven track record of modern engineering practices including CI/CD, automated testing, and iterative development
- Expertise in data stacks like Redshift, Snowflake, and Databricks
- Knowledge of data pipeline tools like DBT, Airflow, DMS, and Fivetran
- Knowledge of data stream tools like Kafka or Flink
- Hands-on experience in large-scale and complex data solutions development projects (we generally use Python for data engineering)
- Experience with enterprise data modeling
- Exposure to AI/ML and predictive analytics
- Experience with infrastructure as code solutions like Terraform
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Something looks off?